Greetings from Abroadland is an upbeat guide & cartoon book about living abroad.
- Moving abroad
- Adapting to a new place
- Kids’ school and daycare abroad
- Language issues
- Environment and everyday life
- Creating a home abroad
- Visiting family and friends in the native country
Each chapter is a mix of tips, stories and cartoons. Greetings from Abroadland fits especially international parents and others who are curious about living abroad. It has altogether 70 ‘survive and thrive’ tips and 35 real-life illustrations.
“Full of wisdom and wonderful illustrations.”
Back cover text
When I, my husband and our two-year-old child moved abroad, it was only supposed to be for six months. Seven years later, and one family member more, we’re still here! I know. I know. It’s a common story among people who move countries: the journey can take you and it can shape you. The ride is bumpy but mighty. If you’re joining us, remember to pack your bags with curiosity and humour!
My family has lived in Finland, Australia, Singapore and Switzerland. This book shares our experiences and adds to them some wise words from intercultural experts on the big issues: moving; adapting; language; weather; education; home and visiting family and friends in the native country. Each chapter is a fun and useful mix of cartoons, tips and stories. This may seem like a rollercoaster but it’s real life to us and many others abroad. Hop on board!
• informative & positive • encouraging & entertaining • compact & colourful • personal & universal
“Wouldn’t the world be different if we all had the opportunity to experience faraway lands and cultures? I’m sure it would be a better place to live. Helena shares her light-hearted story of raising a family internationally, giving excellent and practical advice for the new or seasoned global family.”
– Sandra Bissell, Cross-cultural Trainer and Life Transitions Coach at Expatjoy, http://www.expatjoy.com
“Moving means preparing yourself for the unknown, and Greetings from Abroadland helps you do just this! Helena’s drawings beautifully capture the realities of making international moves as a family with kids. Her tips are perfect reading for families on the move to make the most of where they go.”
– Mariam Ottimofiore, Expat Author and Writer at And Then We Moved To, http://www.andthenwemovedto.com
“This book is a great mix of story and really helpful advice on key topics that relate to international relocation; from learning the language, to understanding the culture, to settling in with your family and creating a home away from home. Written in an extremely accessible way with the bonus of great cartoons that engage and reinforce key points. A handy book to dip in and out of throughout your relocation journey – I highly recommend this book to anyone embarking on the adventure of an international relocation.”
– Louise Wiles, Author of Thriving Abroad: The definitive guide to professional and personal relocation success, http://www.thrivingabroad.com
“Helena has insightfully and expressively captured her life abroad. With both words and illustrations, this is a rich compendium of honest and relatable family stories. How can you not love an illustrated tree, laden with ‘heart-shaped leaves from friendships’ and ‘colourful birds singing thousands of stories’? This book is a treasure!”
– Terry Anne Wilson, Co-author of Monday Morning Emails, Writer at Notes On A Boarding Pass, http://www.mondaymorningemails.com, http://www.notesonaboardingpass.com