Breathing is the first and last thing we do here on earth. And there’s the whole lifetime between for us to learn to breathe better – in ways that improve our health and quality of life.
Better breathing helps us to relax, sleep, digest, remember, focus, move… the list goes on.
Fortunately, it’s never too late to start practicing this instrument installed inside us. Taking a few deep breaths is a good start, and there is plenty of breathing guidance available (you’ll find some links to articles and books also at the end of this post).
TED talks on breathing introduce inspiring ideas such as:
- Already 5 minutes of breathing practices can make a difference for better.
- “We come into this world with a certain number of breaths, and we can take them quickly and live a short lifespan or we can take them slowly and live a long lifespan.” mentions Belisa Vranich on her talk. Many of us would benefit from horizontal breathing, and we should take a cue from the way animals and small kids breathe.
- Learning so called “Water breathing” (4 breaths in, 4 breaths out) “Whiskey breathing” (4 breaths in, 8 breaths out), and “Coffee breathing” (20 sharp exhales) are beneficial for different purposes, says Lucas Rockwood.
- “Mind is a drunken monkey stung by scorpion.”, describes Sundar Balasubramanian, adding that we can control this monkey mind through breathing.
- and Romila Mushtaq concludes on her talk: “To connect to your purpose, you just have to breathe.”
This fresh print reminds you to breathe
I painted the following text to be a friendly reminder to breathe well.
It’s now available on selected printed goods such as cards and posters – you can see the collection at abroadland.net/inhale-exhale.
How will YOU be breathing today?
Links to information on breathing techniques
Relaxation techniques: Breath control helps quell errant stress response
4 Expert-Backed Breathing Exercises For Anxiety, by Teresa Adele
Feeling anxious? The way you breathe could be adding to it, by Kira M. Newman
Breathing your way to better health, by Kelly Bilodeau
The Power of Deep Breathing: 7 Techniques and Exercises, by Daniela Ramirez-Duran
Breathe better to live better: Why breathing is your superpower, by Dana Santas, CNN
How to breathe | Belisa Vranich | TEDxManhattanBeach
The Science Of Yogic Breathing | Sundar Balasubramanian | TEDxCharleston
Change Your Breath, Change Your Life | Lucas Rockwood | TEDxBarcelona
The powerful secret of your breath — Romila “Dr. Romie” Mushtaq, MD | Romila Mushtaq | TEDxFargo
Breath, The New Science of a Lost Art, by James Nestor
The Breathing Cure: Develop New Habits for a Healthier, Happier, and Longer Life, by Patrick McKeown
The Wim Hof Method: Activate Your Full Human Potential Hardcover – October, by Wim Hof
Breathe in.. breathe out… And enjoy your day! ♡